Health & Safety
C O N T E N T S
General BDSM Safety Advice
- Facts and Myths About BDSM Safety by Hans Meijer
- Some Notes on Safety for Meeting Online and Off by Ambrosio (from the "Dating and Communication" section)
- Order the "Standard First Aid & Personal Safety" document (http://www.redcross.org/pubs/) published by the American Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org/)
- Visit the "First-Aid Guide" (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/FirstAidIndex/FirstAidIndex) from MayoClinic.com (http://www.mayoclinic.com/)
Dungeon Monitoring at Parties
Please see the articles under the "Dungeon Monitoring" category in the Community Service section of this site.
- Coronary Heart Disease: Angina & Heart Attack: Its Impact Upon the BDSM Lifestyle by Mistress Tammy, RN
- Diabetes Mellitus: Its Impact Upon the BDSM Lifestyle by Mistress Tammy, RN
- Information from the Safer SM Education Project at The AIDS Committee of Toronto
- "D/s Medical Advice: Prevention and Treatment of Injuries / Adverse Conditions" attributed to Yaldahtvah
- "Emergency Training for SM Practicioners" by Jay Wiseman
- Jay Wiseman on Safety
- How to handle a seizure by Jay Wiseman
- The Medical Realities of Breath Control Play by Jay Wiseman
- blossom's Suggestions for a First Aid Kit
- Medical Advice from the subDOMinion Note: It's not clear if this information was provided by medical professionals.
- Is Masochism Addictive?
- See also Anatomy for Flogging: The Back in the General section
Emotional Health and Psychological Issues
- Ask the Therapist: SM and Kids by William A. Henkin, Ph.D.: A Therapist answers the questions "How do you know when your children are ready to discuss SM, and how do you do it?"
- How to tell your children: part of BDSM Background Information, a series of articles from the POWERotics Foundation
- Help! My spouse is into EPE: part of BDSM Background Information, a series of articles from the POWERotics Foundation
- Ask the Therapist: Alternate Personas and Multiple Personalities by William A. Henkin, Ph.D.
- SM And Child Abuse: For Some, A Difficult Connection With The Past by Guy Baldwin (April 23rd, 2007)
- The web site for William A. Henkin, Ph.D.: http://www.drhenkin.com/
- For material on BDSM relationship break ups visit my list of "Breaking Up" links in the "Dating and Communication" section.
"President Bush has pushed to fund abstinence-only sex education, saying that is the only 'surefire' way to prevent unwanted pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases, and immoral, nasty, hot teen sex."
"Abstinance, of course, does prevent all of these terrible things. Abstinence education, however, does not."
- Al Franken
Lies And the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
Sexually Transmitted Infections Including Hepatitis
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease."
- R. D. Laing
Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) -- also called Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) -- include Herpes, HIV/AIDS, Chlamydia, Genital Herpes, Gonorrhea, Human Papillomavirus, Genital Warts, Syphilis, Vaginitis, and Hepatitis.
- "Safer Sex" by Sir Bamm! http://www.EvilMonk.org/A/bamm01.cfm
- Febrile, Headachy Public Health Rambling by Catmoney
- The American Social Health Association (ASHA): http://www.ashastd.org/
- "STD Prevention" --- information, statistics, and treatment guidelines for sexually transmitted diseases --- from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Division of STD Prevention.: http://www.cdc.gov/std/
- "Sexually Transmitted Infections" pages at the The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) web site: http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/std/Pages/default.aspx
- The "Hepatitis C" section on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention web site. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/
- "An Important Message Concerning Hepatitis C" from Dr. C. Everett Koop, the former U.S. Surgeon General. This site was designed and developed by the C. Everett Koop Institute at Dartmouth College. http://www.epidemic.org/
More Support Groups
- Diabetes and BDSM (Diabetic and Living An Alternative Lifestyle): For anyone who has diabetes or is insulin resistant who following the bdsm lifestyle to what ever degree, be you sub, dom, slave, switch - all who have diabetes and who have partners with diabetes are welcome here.
- DisabledLifestylers: This is a place where LifeStyle Dominants and submissives, with any type of disability, can share their experiences and knowledge, as well as seek a partner.
- disAbledpervs: This list intended for discussion of issues related to BDSM and disabilities. It is for leather/BDSM people with disabilities.
- NVAA: A closed A.A. group for those in the lifestyle of BD/sm. An A.A., topic based group that shares it's experience, strength and hope.
- PCOS and BDSM (PCOS and Living An Alternative Lifestyle): A group for women who have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and who are into BDSM
Medical Sites on the Internet
- "Medline" from the National Library of Medicine.
Find a Doctor
- The "Kink Aware Professionals List" is a national list of Doctors, Lawyers, and Professionals who are knowledgable and friendly toward the scene. It was started by Race Bannon but is now maintained by the National Coalition for Sexual Freedom.
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association's Physicians' Referral Network: There's no guaranty that a GLMA referral for "practitioner who is sensitive to LGBT healthcare needs" will be (BDSM) kink friendly as well but it's more likely.