Rover's Column from the December 1973 issue of California Scene Magazine
(Source: The Colors of Leather web site.)
Thanks to The Colors of Leather web site for the discovery, the trivia, and the images. (BTW, Colors of Leather has about 10 issues of California Scene Magazine but they "would absolutely love to have the remainder of the set" so if anyone has copies that they'd be willing to part with please contact the Colors of Leather site owner through the email address listed on the web site at http://www.colors-of-leather.com/)
More on the "Old Guard"
- The Old Guard History, Origins and Traditions By Guy Baldwin, M.S. (from The Ties That Bind)
- Old Guard? If You say so. By Joseph W. Bean
- The Myth of the Old Guard By Jack Rinella from his Leather Views site.
- Old Guard, New Guard By
- Multiple Tops: Master, Mistress and Daddy Makes Three By Master L.J.E. An Old Guard view of 'Net Generation polyamoury.
- Marginalia on the Old Guard, Leather Traditions, and BDSM History By Ambrosio
- Rover's column in the December 1973 issue of California Scene Magazine: Earliest documented use of the phrase "old guard" in a Leather context.
- "Old Guard" Links on the Manners and Traditions page.