I do not agree completely with all the points in this article, but I am reposting it in it's entirety.
10 Ways to Sexual Freedom
from "Sex Panic"
I do not agree completely with all the points in this article (e.g., number 9), but I am reposting it in it's entirety.
- KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN YOUR AREA. Know your state and local laws (your public library will have copies of municipal codes and state statutes). Talk with sex industry business owners and sexual nonconformists to find out if harassment is taking place and who is responsible. Scan your local papers to see if arrests and entrapment are taking place.
- DEVELOP A SEX-POSITIVE CONTACT AT EACH LOCAL AIDS AND LGBT ORGANIZATION. Ask people about their sexual beliefs and cultivate contacts and support networks among individuals who believe in respect for sexual civil liberties and that sexual empowerment and the diminution of guilt and shame are key to health promotion.
- HELP EDUCATE LOCAL CIVIL LIBERTARIANS ABOUT WHY SEXUAL CIVIL LIBERTIES ARE KEY TO A SOCIAL JUSTICE AGENDA. Challenge hypocrisy and educate civil libertarians about why government has no role to play in regulating our sexual lives. Cultivate ties with local members of the legal profession who are willing to challenge assaults on sexual civil liberties!
- PESTER YOUR REPRESENTATIVES AT HOME AND IN DC WHEN ATTACKS ON SEXUAL CIVIL LIBERTIES TAKE PLACE. Write letters, make phone calls, arrange face-to-face meetings. Elected officials know that cranky constituents vote more often than complacent ones. Don't let harassment and entrapment go unchallenged.
- BUILD CONTACTS AND TIES WITH OTHER SEX-POSITIVE GROUPS. Cultivate ties and support networks with sex-positive groups in the lesbian, heterosexual, SM, bisexual, and transgendered communities. There is strength in numbers!
- HELP ORGANIZE COALITIONS OF SEX INDUSTRY BUSINESSES AND SEX WORKERS. Urge owners of sex clubs, adult theaters and bookstores, and web businesses to join with sex workers in broad-based coalitions to fight to protect sexual civil liberties!
- SEEK OPPORTUNITIES FOR DIRECT ACTION. Challenge harassment and entrapment through picketing, boycotting, loud demonstrations, kiss-ins, and letter-writing campaigns!
- MEET WITH YOUR LOCAL MEDIA OUTLETS TO DISCUSS SEX ACTIVISM AND HOW THEY COVER RELEVANT ISSUES. Talk with local journalists, radio and television reporters, and others to urge fair and non sensational coverage of sexual issues and civil liberties. Point out biases in past coverage and offer yourself (if possible and appropriate) as a local voice in favor of sexual civil liberties.
- TALK UNASHAMEDLY ABOUT YOUR DESIRES AND SEXUAL PRACTICES. Sex is not secret, shameful, or destructive to society. It needn't be privatized and kept out of public discussion. Discuss sex thoughtfully but unabashedly. Feel no shame!
- ABOVE ALL: HOLD YOUR OWN COMMUNITY ACCOUNTABLE ON SEXUAL ISSUES. BE THE VOICE, EVEN IF THE LONE VOICE, THAT SAYS WE SHOULD NOT SELL OUT JUST TO BLEND IN!